Guiding Purpose Statement
The Guiding Purpose Statement agreed upon at the Pasadena meeting of 2002 was affirmed in 2007 at the first Global Gathering at Limuru:
To create an open space wherein representatives from a broad range of Christian churches and inter-church organizations, which confess the triune God and Jesus Christ as perfect in His divinity and humanity, can gather to foster mutual respect, to explore and address together common challenges.
In the spirit of John 17:21 " that all of them may be one... so that the world may believe that you have sent me" and because of our faith in a reconciling God (2 Cor.5: 18-21) a forum could pursue the following:
- Deepen our commitment to God's Word and mission in the world;
- Enhance our understanding of contemporary expressions of Christian mission;
- Pursue principles and practices that enable us to deal freely, responsibly and peaceably with our Christian differences and distinctive qualities;
- Engage in theological reflection in areas of mutual concern;
- Strengthen the wholeness of the church by encouraging communication and cooperation; and
- Foster relationships that may lead to common witness.